Name: Ben Ward
Band(s): Orange Goblin
1. When were your rock doors blown wide open?
I was always into music as a kid. My dad brought me up on The Kinks, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. and I had diverse tastes growing up. I liked The Smiths, I liked early hip-hop but then I heard Metallica and from there I got into extreme metal, death, doom, thrash and black metal mainly.
2. What posters were on your bedroom wall in High School?
I didn’t go to High School! My walls were all dedicated to my football team, Liverpool.
3. What was your last musical phase?
I don’t believe in musical phases. I’m into what I’m into and it’ll be for life, not just a phase. I’ll leave those phases to the emo shitheads!
4. What was the greatest decade for music?
There are strong arguments for both the 60’s and the 70’s because they spawned so many genre’s and great bands but I would have to say that my favourite is the 80’s. That’s where the greatest metal comes from. Metallica, Slayer, Hellhammer, Possessed, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, the best Iron Maiden stuff. I think in the 70’s Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin laid the foundations for all these bands but the 80’s were the metal heyday……..until fucking grunge came along and ruined everything!
5. Favorite local band?
I’m from Leytonstone in East London and the best band from there would have to be Iron Maiden!
6. Favorite band name?
7. Favorite Beatle?
8. Favorite 420 Train Wreck artist?
9. Do you name your gear?
10. You are stuck on a desert island and can have only one artist’s entire catalog. Whose would it be?
Probably Johnny Cash because there would be so much of it and it’s incredibly consistent.
11. Of all the artists in your music collection, by whom do you have the most albums?
12. Earthquake! You are allowed into your apartment long enough to save only one CD. What would it be?
Slayer – Reign In Blood
13. If you could add only one thing to touring to make it more interesting, what would it be?
I’d take my family with me. Or more money for drugs and booze!
14. What thought or sentiment about music would you like to put in 1 million fortune cookies?
You’ll never be as good as Celtic Frost.
15. What is something you once forgot that you will never forget again?
If you do get trapped in your house, try not to get trapped in your house! Sound advice.
16. Shure or Sennheiser? (singer)
Shure SM58’s rule!
17. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
The first six Black Sabbath albums are note for note perfection and complete modern day masterpieces so you’d be very hard pushed to beat those.
18. Whiskey and Rye or Marijuana?
Despite being called a ‘Stoner’ rock band, not 1 member of OG has smoked weed for over a decade now. I much prefer to drink and like my drugs to make me go faster, if you get my meaning.
19. Who would you want to have do the soundtrack of your life?
I think Slayer should do the angry parts and either Skynyrd or ZZ Top could play the rest. Or maybe I should just get Soilent Green to do the whole damn thing.
20. What song pretty much sums you up?
Lynyrd Skynyrd – Simple Man