Name: Tommy Grenas
Band(s): Farflung, Pressurehed, Anubian Lights, The Brain, Swamp Rats
1. When were your rock doors blown wide open?
Many different experiences here. Hearing Neon Lights on Radio Luxembourg, and thinking, “Shit, that electronic sequence just went on for like 10 minutes without changing and it made my hair stand on end…. beautiful, I want to do that!” Hearing “Orgone Accumulator”, by Hawkwind in my Belfast flat and being enthralled by Bob Calvert’s lyrics and Davie Brocks’ fuzz wall. Hearing PiL on John Peel playing, “Careering”, then to hear him say, “Well, that was PiL, and here is Can, “One More Night.” I saw the connection… things like that. I was a serious Rhineland groove-rider.
2. What posters were on your bedroom wall in High School?
The Specials, Everton FC soccer shit, Toyah (new wave pin-up kinda), a Johnny Rotten poster, Thunderbirds Are Go!, some FA cup charts, phlegm stains, shit like that.
3. What was your last musical phase?
I’ve never had any. I’ve always liked all music. Though I guess I was more of a punker-type. Had long hair in the space rock phase. So did that make me a hippie-headbanger-thingy type dude? Fuck, I don’t know.
4. What was the greatest decade for music?
Personally, late 60’s, early 70’s Germany, though people weren’t to get into it ’till the early 80’s and that was the second phase in post-punk.
5. Favorite local band?
In Los Angeles now, probably Secret Society of The Sonic Six, (or Fuzztones if they’re still around)
6. Favorite band name?
Half Man Half Biscuit
7. Favorite Beatle?
8. Favorite 420 Train Wreck artist?
High On Fire
9. Do you name your gear?
Some things. My Crucianelli guitar is called, “Mother of Toilet Seat.” and my ob8 is “Ole” useless, though I always get it to grind somehow.
10. You are stuck on a desert island and can have only one artist’s entire catalog. Whose would it be?
Well, Hawkwind. Don’t ask me why. It’s my Achilles Heel. I am obsessive. I even goggle at unlistenable bootlegs o’ mud, I am like some fuckin’ Deadhead when it comes to ’em. Yeah…obsessive.
11. Of all the artists in your music collection, by whom do you have the most albums?
Hawkwind again, though I have every pressing in all languages and labels by Neu! too. Actually, same with Edgar Broughton as well… geeky, eh!
12. Earthquake! You are allowed into your apartment long enough to save only one CD. What would it be?
“Doremi Fasol Latido,” Hawkwind.
13. If you could add only one thing to touring to make it more interesting, what would it be?
Getting paid, and having good turnouts.
14. What thought or sentiment about music would you like to put in 1 million fortune cookies?
You’ve landed on predictable. Miss a turn.
15. What is something you once forgot that you will never forget again?
16. Shure or Sennheiser? (singer)
RCA mic’s and Fender Jazzmasters for writing and recording. ’73 tele’s for live.
17. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
Awww, come on.
18. Whiskey and Rye or Marijuana?
Awww, come on. (Read: All of the Above).
19. Who would you want to have do the soundtrack of your life?
Chermitt The Atmosphere
20. What song pretty much sums you up?
“Lucky Man”, The Verve (I’m being serious)